Saturday, November 15, 2008

Armenian Street in Georgetown, Penang

Armenian Street is one of the historical street in Penang, where it was preserved with various famous heritage buildings. Cheah Kongsi is one of the building located at Armenian Street. If you are interested in knowing the history of Armenian Street, check out this page.


Armenian Street, Buncho Oil Pastel on white drawing paper

I remember I bought some print Penang building sketch postcard for my friend as a birthday gift. The sketch was done by charcoal for the buildings outline and with watercolor for foreground and background. I love those building sketch, which it inspire me to try this sketch.

First, I sketch the building with gray OP, but I purposely paint the flag, the round signboard and the streetlight with brighter color for the contrast to the old building because they are all newly added in recent years. Then, I apply pearl color on foreground for the buildings and background for the sky and clouds. With some marking done in gray for the darker parts of the clouds.

At last, I work out the outline with black, as well as adding gray and pear orange for the blends and shades. This is consider experimental, because I uses pale color for foreground and background but I express the buildings with dark outline. And I use less than 10 colors for the entire sketch.

No comments:

Link Within

Blog Widget by LinkWithin